- Something found on a picture, photograph, video or voice recording
that has no explainable source.
- A spirit that is in human form and
usually visible to the naked eye; or may appear in a photo undetected
originally by the naked eye. Often this anomaly is dressed in period
clothing. Very hard to capture on film but many have reported seeing
this type of ghost. This is the "Hollywood-Type" ghost featured in many
- Paranormal investigators use both digital and 35mm cameras. Digital
cameras are great because they seem more adept at capturing anomalies
and give instant results. They are also cheaper to use than film.
- Two rods held out in front of one which cross when paranormal
activity is present. For
years, dowsing rods have been used to find
water for wells, and burial sites. They are an inexpensive tool for
those sensitive enough to use them (about 80% are!), to help detect
areas of paranormal activity for confirmation with photos and other
- The term used for a smoke-like or fog
looking mist that appears in photos but was not discernable by the human
eye. This phenomena has been captured in the midst of large groups of
people, as well.
- A meter for measuring electromagnetic fields. Spirits have been found
to interrupt or even create their own electromagnetic fields. Compasses
can also be used to detect changes in EMF's. A spike in EMF activity
could represent spirit activity and is an excellent tool of the
paranormal investigator to locate areas to study and collaborate
evidence of the presence of ghosts.
- These show up on photos as colored
lights during some manifestations of hauntings. They usually are not
visible to the naked eye and can appear in different colors such as red,
orange or green.
- "Electronic Voice Phenomenon" is the recording of audio tapes at a
suspected haunted site; and although no voices were heard at the time of
the recording, unexplained voices may be discovered during playback of
the audio tape. Both digital recorder and traditional tape recorders
may be used with an external microphone.
- When spirits dwell in a specific area and demonstrate an interaction
with those here in the physical realm.
- Description for the movement of objects by a ghost. A physical
manifestation of an unseen force which may move, throw or even destroy
objects. These ghosts are known as "Poltergeists" (german for "noisy
- Orbs are believed to be energy or the spirit and soul of individuals,
which show up as circles or balls of light in photos - varying in size,
color and opacity. I personally believe them to be departed spirits
whose soul is "enlightened," hence they are seen as "light." The whiter
or brighter the light, the more truth is known by them. As a side note,
it is important to know that dust, rain or snow directly in front of the
camera can also appear to be orbs in a photograph.
- Some paranormal investigators use motion detectors to watch for unseen
object or infrared (heat) movement.
- Moving orbs caught during the time of camera exposure. Orbs have also
been filmed moving, on video. In photos, they appear as streaking light
or as an orb with a tail showing the path of motion. These are also
known as "supercharged orbs" in motion.
- German for "noisy ghost." These ghosts manifest in the physical enough
to produce sounds and the movement of objects. See Kinetic Energy.
- When a spirit is seen doing the same thing over and over, many believe
this to be simply an energy imprint or residual haunting. In other
words, a strong, traumatic event that occurred in some other time,
repeating itself over and over. Usually these spirits do not interact
with those who see them. My opinion, is that this could simply be a
state of mind I call "hell;" being trapped by one's
own mind in darkness
or lack of understanding. Sort of reliving of an event perhaps through
fear, guilt or condemnation until that spirit finds truth and freedom.
Shadow People/Dark Shadows
- Unexplainable dark shadows in photos and video which sometimes may be
seen with the naked eye. Many believe these to be demons, but I believe
they are departed spirits who are in darkness currently. In other
words, the state of their soul is visible as darkness instead of light.
That is not to say they are bad people, but simply people who are void
of truth or bound by untruths.
Monitors/Thermometers - Used to
detect cold or hot spots which can indicate paranormal activity.
Vortex or Vortices
- A long streak across a photo that may be caused by a very
high-speeding "orb;" some believe vortices are a gateway between both
realms (physical and spirit realms). They are usually white in color
and may appear as a funnel-shape. Camera straps, human hair, a tree
branch, etc.right in front of the camera lens during exposure have been
notoriously mistaken for a vortex. It is important to make sure
anything that may interfere with your photo is removed from within the
front of the camera.
Oahu Ghost Tours and Hawaii Ghost Tours